Mazda MX-5 (1989 - 2005)
Complete coverage for your vehicle
Written from hands-on experience gained from the complete strip-down and rebuild of a Mazda MX-5, Haynes can help you understand, care for and repair your Mazda MX-5. We do it ourselves to help you do-it-yourself, and whatever your mechanical ability, the practical step-by-step explanations, linked to over 900 photos, will help you get the job done right. Regular servicing and maintenance of your Mazda MX-5 can help maintain its resale value, save you money, and make it safer to drive.
Online manual & videos
The Online Manual is not a printed product, not a PDF and not a download.
Access this manual immediately on your internet browser on your mobile, desktop or tablet.
Mazda MX-5 Marks 1, 2 and ‘2.5’ (NA and NB Series).
Petrol: 1.6 litre (1597cc) and 1.8 litre (1840cc) normally-aspirated engines.
Does not cover Mark 3 (NC Series) or automatic transmission; does not fully cover models badged Eunos.
Does not cover turbocharged engines.
Videos included with this online manual
- Front brake pads replacement
- Battery removal & replacement
- Rear light cluster bulbs replacement
- Coolant replacement
- Fluid level checks
- Roadside wheel change
- Air filter change
- Headlight bulbs replacement
- Wiper blade replacement
- Engine oil and filter change
- Rear brake pads replacement
- Rear suspension strut replacement
- Spark plug replacement
Table of contents
Contents, Safety First!, Roadside repairs, Weekly checks
Chapter 1 : Routine maintenance and servicing
Chapter 2A : Engine in-car repair procedures
Chapter 2B : Engine removal and overhaul procedures
Chapter 3 : Cooling, heating and ventilation systems
Chapter 4A : Fuel and exhaust systems
Chapter 4B : Emission control systems
Chapter 5A : Starting and charging systems
Chapter 5B : Ignition system
Chapter 6 : Clutch
Chapter 7A : Manual gearbox
Chapter 8 : Final drive, driveshafts and propeller shaft
Chapter 9 : Braking system
Chapter 10 : Suspension and steering
Chapter 11 : Bodywork and fittings
Chapter 12 : Body electrical systems, Wiring diagrams, Reference
With a Haynes Online Manual in an online format you get all the trusted content of a printed manual, with additional features to help you get the job done. Take your entire manual with you on every journey.
- All colour step-by-step guides for over 200 jobs with 700+ photos
- Image zoom feature for close-up view of jobs
- Brand-new “how to” video tutorials covering key repair tasks
- Print complete sections to take with you into the workshop
- Troubleshooting section – quickly find the cause of a problem
- Colour wiring diagrams help track problems quickly and easily
- Easy search feature – find your job fast
- Dictionary of automotive terms
- Quick links to popular DIY tasks and other jobs linked to your task
- Conversion calculator – imperial and metric units