If you are the owner of a 2012 Dodge Durango and find yourself in the frustrating situation where your vehicle will not start, you are not alone. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the common causes of a non-starting Dodge Durango and provide you with practical solutions. Whether you are facing the classic "Dodge Durango won't start just clicks" scenario or simply wondering, "Why won't my Dodge Durango start?" - we have got you covered. Discover expert repair advice, tips & tutorials, and access to online manuals to help you get your Durango back on the road.
Common Causes of a Dodge Durango That Won't Start
- Symptoms: When you turn the key, you might hear a snapping sound or realize dim lights on the dashboard.
- Solution: Jump-start your Durango with jumper cables or replace the battery if it is old or no longer holds a charge.
Defective Starter Motor:
- Symptoms: A malfunctioning starter may produce a clicking noise when you turn the key or complete silence.
- Solution: Replace the starter motor if it is determined to be the culprit.
Bad Ignition Switch:
- Symptoms: The engine does not respond when you turn the key, and there is no power to the accessories.
- Solution: Replace the ignition switch, and ensure proper wiring connections.
Fuel Delivery Issues:
- Symptoms: The engine cranks but does not start, or it starts briefly and then stalls.
- Solution: Check the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel injectors. Replace or clean any components that are clogged or faulty.
- Symptoms: A failing alternator can result in a discharged battery and difficulty starting the vehicle.
- Solution: Test the alternator's output voltage and replace it if necessary.
Diagnosing and Fixing the Problem
If you find your 2012 Dodge Durango will not start, follow these steps to diagnose and address the issue:
- Check the Battery: Begin by inspecting the battery's condition. If it is dead, try jump-starting the vehicle. If the battery is old or not holding a charge, replace it.
- Inspect the Starter: If the battery is fine, but the engine will not crank, the motor might be at fault. Have it tested and replace it if necessary.
- Examine the Ignition Switch: Verify the ignition switch is functioning correctly and that all wiring connections are secure. Replace the switch if it is faulty.
- Address Fuel Delivery Issues: If the engine cranks but does not start, investigate the fuel system, including the fuel pump, filter, and injectors. Replace or clean components as needed.
- Test the Alternator: To ensure your battery is charging correctly, test the alternator's output voltage. Replace it if it is not functioning properly.
- Additional Checks: Inspect other components like the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the engine's computer (ECM) for potential issues.
By following these steps and addressing the specific problem, you can increase the chances of getting your Dodge Durango back on the road without any hitches.
Conclusion and Expert Assistance
In conclusion, a 2012 Dodge Durango that will not start can be a frustrating experience. However, armed with the right knowledge and resources, you can diagnose and fix the issue. Remember that safety should always be a priority when troubleshooting your vehicle.