Step-by-step video tutorials for your Vauxhall Astra diesel (’04-’08)
The Vauxhall Astra has been a popular hatchback for decades for those who need something that's reasonably inexpensive to run and practical for everyday motoring. It's comparatively cheap to maintain and repair, especially when you do it yourself, with help from your Haynes manual.
At Haynes, we have an extensive range of Vauxhall repair manuals and online maintenance procedures available for professional mechanics and DIY car enthusiasts. Our Vauxhall Astra repair manual is here to help you through every stage of servicing or fixing your car.
Haynes has also just added 17 videos to our YouTube channel that show you, step by step, how to carry out popular jobs on your Astra.
Our YouTube playlist shows you:
- How to check the fluid levels
- How to replace the air filter
- How to fit a new battery
- How to replace the front brake pads
- How to drain the engine oil and fit a new filter
- How to change the coolant
- How to change the fuel filter (shown below)
- How to renew the headlight bulbs
- How to jack up and support the front of the Astra
- How to jack up and support the rear of the Astra
- How to fit new rear light cluster bulbs
- How to fit a new pollen filter
- How to change a rear light bulb
- How to replace the rear brake pads
- How to swap out the rear shock absorbers
- How to change a wheel
- How to replace the wiper blades
The videos are designed to complement our print and online manuals for the Vauxhall Astra Hatchback, Sport Hatch and Estate with turbo-diesel engines, inc. special/limited editions: 1.3 litre (1248cc), 1.7 litre (1686cc) and 1.9 litre (1910cc).
A Haynes Online Manual gives you all the trusted content of a printed manual, with additional features to help you get the job done. Take your entire manual with you on every journey.
- You get to keep it forever
- All colour step-by-step guides for over 200 jobs with 700+ photos
- Image zoom feature for close-up view of jobs
- Brand-new “how to” video tutorials covering key repair tasks
- Print complete sections to take with you into the workshop
- Troubleshooting section – quickly find the cause of a problem
- Colour wiring diagrams help track problems quickly and easily
- Easy search feature – find your job fast
- Dictionary of automotive terms
- Quick links to popular DIY tasks and other jobs linked to your task
- Conversion calculator – imperial and metric units
- Does NOT cover TwinTop models or ‘Easytronic’ transmission
Written from hands-on experience gained from the complete strip-down and rebuild of a diesel Vauxhall Astra, Haynes can help you understand, care for and repair your car. We do it ourselves to help you do-it-yourself, and whatever your mechanical ability, the practical step-by-step explanations, linked to over 700 photos, will help you get the job done right. Regular servicing and maintenance of your Vauxhall can help maintain its resale value, save you money, and make it safer to drive.
Get the full print or online manual here
Here’s the Astra fuel filter change video from YouTube:
Click here to see the full YouTube playlist
Buyer’s guide: the Vauxhall Astra story
The Vauxhall/Opel Astra-H model was introduced in the UK in May 2004 as a replacement for the previous Astra, the ‘G’ model. It is available in 3- and 5-door Hatchback and Estate versions with 1.3, 1.7 and 1.9-litre diesel engines and various petrol engines (not covered in this manual). The 1.3 and 1.7-litre engines are all DOHC 16-valve units, whereas the 1.9-litre engines are available in either SOHC 8-valve or DOHC 16-valve form.
According to engine type, the manual gearbox is of the five- or six-speed all-synchromesh type, with a six-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmission optionally available on 1.9-litre SOHC 8-valve models.
All models are front-wheel drive with fully independent front suspension and semi-independent rear suspension with a torsion beam and trailing arms.
A wide range of standard and optional equipment was available within the Astra range to suit most tastes, including electro/hydraulic power steering, air conditioning, remote central locking, electric windows, electric sunroof, anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic alarm and airbags.